William Brown House

In 1785, William Brown's house was foreclosed on. Brown had been a prominent innkeeper in London Town. The structure remained occupied by other families until 1823. At that point, the house and ten surrounding acres were purchased by the Trustees of the Poor for Anne Arundel County. The house served as the County Almshouse until 1965. In 1970, the William Brown House re-opened as a National Historic Landmark Museum. For more information, see http://www.historiclondontown.org/index.php/history-archaeology/william-brown-house

« Back to Story

This project was developed through a Teaching American History Grant partnership between Anne Arundel County Public Schools, the Center for History Education at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) and Historic London Town and Gardens.